The TDC had earlier issued an ultimatum to the government, demanding additional security convoys along the highway
KRC TIMES Manipur Bureau
Imphal | A total of 644 loaded trucks and fuel tankers reached Manipur’s valley districts under security escort ahead of a 48-hour general strike that began at midnight on August 17. The convoy, which originated from Jiribam near the Assam-Manipur border, reached its destinations before the shutdown came into force. The strike, called by the Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD), will continue until midnight on August 19.
The protesters are demanding that the National Register of Citizens (NRC) be updated before the Census exercise is carried out in the state. Officials said the convoy comprised 469 goods-laden trucks and 175 fuel tankers. Three security convoys were deployed to escort the vehicles along the route.
The first convoy left Jiribam at around 6:25 am on August 17, while the final convoy departed at approximately 9 am. The Transporters’ and Drivers’ Council (TDC) welcomed the increased security deployment, saying it would help move stranded vehicles and ease congestion around Jiribam and the Assam-Manipur border.
TDC president Hijam Ranjit said the additional security cover would provide relief to truck drivers and handymen who had been stranded for extended periods along the highway. He also said increasing the number of CRPF companies assigned to escort duties from eight to 10 would further strengthen security and help clear the backlog of vehicles waiting to enter Manipur.
The TDC had earlier issued an ultimatum to the government, demanding additional security convoys along the highway. It had warned that stranded vehicles would be moved in bulk from Monday irrespective of whether adequate security arrangements were provided.
The convoy operation was expanded days after Nageena Kumar Mahato, a truck driver from Bihar, was found dead inside his vehicle near the Assam-Manipur border on August 12. He had reportedly remained stranded on the route for several days.
The movement of the 644 vehicles has provided temporary relief to supply lines serving Manipur’s valley districts as the 48-hour shutdown continues across the state. However, concerns over the disruption of transport and essential supplies remain as the strike continues and protesters press their demand for NRC updation before the Census process.


