Manipur Group Calls Two-Day Strike Over Census, NRC Demand
KRC TIMES Manipur Bureau
IMPHAL | Protests demanding updation of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) before the Census were held at several locations across Manipur on August 17, as the government continued preparations for the upcoming population enumeration exercise.
The demonstrations were organised under the banner of the Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD), with protesters raising slogans including “NRC Updation Before Census”, “No NRC, No Census” and “No IDP Settlement, No Census”.
Members of the JFD’s student wing attempted to disrupt Census training sessions at DM Teacher Training College and Hindi Teachers Training College. Security personnel reportedly clashed with protesters while attempting to disperse them.
A separate sit-in was held at Khwairamband Ima Market in Imphal, where several shops remained closed as traders and others joined the protest. Demonstrators demanded that the NRC be updated before the Census, citing concerns over the alleged presence of illegal immigrants in the state.
A large group of students also took out a rally carrying similar demands. The procession began at Tiddim Ground and proceeded towards Keishampat Junction before turning back. During the rally, protesters also demanded the suspension of a police officer whom they accused of using excessive force during a recent agitation at the Directorate of Census.
Speaking during the sit-in at Khwairamband Ima Market, JFD organising secretary Longjam Ratan said the issue of illegal immigration had remained a concern in Manipur for decades and claimed that repeated demands had been made to protect the state’s indigenous population.
Ratan referred to a 16-point agreement signed between the Manipur government and representatives on the issue of illegal immigration in 1980, which was reaffirmed in 1994. He alleged that despite the agreements, effective measures had not been taken to address the issue.
According to Ratan, the JFD was formed in 2025 amid renewed concerns over illegal immigration. The organisation has been demanding that the NRC be updated with 1951 as the base year. He said the group had submitted representations and memoranda to both the state and Central governments but had yet to receive a response.
The JFD has since continued its agitation and warned that protests would be intensified if its demands were not addressed.The demonstrations come as preparations for the Census gather pace in Manipur, adding to growing tensions over the sequencing of NRC-related measures, Census operations and the rehabilitation of internally displaced persons (IDPs).
The Campaign for Just and Fair Delimitation (JFD) has called a two-day general strike across Manipur from midnight on August 17, opposing the government’s decision to proceed with the Census exercise without first updating the National Register of Citizens (NRC).
Addressing a press conference in Imphal, JFD convenor Jeetendra Ningombam said the organisation had repeatedly urged the state government to complete the NRC updation before beginning the Census, but alleged that its appeals had gone unanswered.
Ningombam said the government was moving ahead with the Census process, including self-enumeration, despite concerns raised by the organisation over the presence of alleged illegal immigrants in the state.
Calling the decision “unfortunate”, he said the demand for NRC updation was being raised with the interests of future generations of indigenous people in mind. “Our demand for NRC updation before Census is legitimate,” Ningombam said, adding that the issue of illegal immigration was a serious concern for the state and required government intervention.
He said the strike was not aimed at inconveniencing the public but had been called after the government allegedly failed to respond to repeated representations and protests.
Ningombam warned that the JFD would intensify its agitation if the government remained unresponsive even after the two-day strike. Representatives of civil society organisations from the Naga and Meitei Pangal communities also attended the press conference and extended their support to the proposed shutdown.
The JFD has been campaigning for NRC updation before the Census and has organised a series of protests across Manipur in recent weeks. Fresh demonstrations were reported at several locations on Monday as preparations for the Census continued.
The latest strike call is expected to add to the growing debate in Manipur over the sequencing of NRC updation, Census operations and measures concerning the state’s indigenous population.


