Rio said Nagaland remained largely peaceful but expressed concern over the recent IED blast in Chümoukedima district targeting an Assam Rifles vehicle
KRC TIMES NE Desk
Kohima | Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio on Saturday called for an early and “honourable” settlement of the long-pending Naga Political Issue and urged the Centre to expedite the constitution and operationalisation of the Frontier Nagaland Territorial Authority (FNTA).
Addressing the state-level Independence Day celebration at the Civil Secretariat Plaza in Kohima, Rio said the Naga Political Issue remained unresolved despite years of negotiations and reiterated the people’s demand for an early settlement.
He referred to the consultative meeting held on September 12, 2024, which brought together tribal bodies, civil society organisations, churches, NGOs, student groups and political parties. The meeting had called for the peace process to be elevated to the highest political level through an interlocutor with political or ministerial authority, he said.
Rio said the demand was reiterated during his meeting with Union Home Minister Amit Shah on February 5, following which the Centre constituted a committee headed by the Minister of State for Home Affairs to lead the peace talks.
He urged the Centre to engage with all negotiating parties with “urgency and clarity” and assured that the state government would continue to facilitate the process towards an “honourable and acceptable Solution”.
Rio backs Frontier Nagaland authority
On the demand for greater development and administrative empowerment in eastern Nagaland, Rio said the state government would support the constitution and early operationalisation of the FNTA. He referred to the February 5 Memorandum of Agreement between the Centre, the Nagaland government and the Eastern Nagaland Peoples’ Organisation for the constitution of the authority within Nagaland.
Describing the agreement as a “historic milestone”, Rio assured the eastern districts that the state government would extend all necessary cooperation to ensure the early constitution and operationalisation of the FNTA.
CM condemns Chümoukedima blast
Rio said Nagaland remained largely peaceful but expressed concern over the recent IED blast in Chümoukedima district targeting an Assam Rifles vehicle. One Assam Rifles personnel was killed and four others sustained grievous injuries in the attack. Condemning the incident, the Chief Minister said those responsible must be brought to justice. He said the National Investigation Agency had taken over the investigation.
‘War on Drugs’
On the government’s campaign against narcotics, Rio said more than 407 cases had been registered under the Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act and 677 people arrested between January 2024 and May 2026.
He also outlined initiatives covering road and air connectivity, education, healthcare, sports, skill development, drinking water, power, agriculture and tourism.
The government was also undertaking restoration work following severe monsoon damage, he said.
Among the major projects highlighted were the proposed Indian Institute of Technology at Ciethu, a greenfield AIIMS at Nagaki City and the development of Nagaki as an incubation city. Rio also referred to a tripartite agreement signed in June between Assam, Nagaland and the Centre for oil and natural gas exploration in the Disputed Area Belt.
New digital and solar initiatives launched
The Independence Day programme also witnessed the launch of the Nagaland Integrated Information System, the Education Management Information System and a 10 MW solar power plant at Hovukhu in Niuland.
Students absent amid Vande Mataram row
Students were absent from the official Independence Day programme in several parts of Nagaland after the Naga Students’ Federation enforced a boycott over the mandatory singing of the entire “Vande Mataram” song at official functions.
The NSF had directed its federating units and subordinate bodies to prevent students from participating in the August 15 programmes until the directive was revoked.
The federation said its objection was not against Independence Day celebrations or national symbols but against compulsory participation in the song. It cited concerns over religious imagery, individual conscience and constitutional protections, including Article 371A.
NSF volunteers were deployed at strategic locations in Kohima and other districts, while schools and educational institutions refrained from sending students, including NCC cadets, Scouts and Guides, for the Independence Day parade.
NSF vice-president Vimeyiekho Vitso described the boycott as a “success” in Kohima and other districts where its units enforced the directive.
Police, however, described the boycott appeal as voluntary and said no official complaint had been received alleging that anyone had been forcibly prevented from attending the celebrations. Rio concluded his Independence Day address by calling upon the people of Nagaland to work collectively towards building a more developed, self-reliant and prosperous state.


