Ansari alleged that the armed men launched the assault from nearby hill areas across the Myanmar border, firing several rounds and using explosives during the attack
KRC TIMES Manipur Bureau
Imphal : Nearly two weeks after suspected Myanmar-based militants launched coordinated attacks on villages along the Indo-Myanmar border in Manipur’s Kamjong district, residents of the affected areas say fear and uncertainty continue to overshadow daily life amid what they describe as inadequate security arrangements.
The attacks took place during the early hours of May 7 when armed men allegedly crossed into Indian territory from Myanmar and targeted Tangkhul Naga-inhabited villages, including Z Choro, Wanglee and Namlee.
According to villagers, the attackers opened indiscriminate fire, torched houses and looted properties, forcing residents to flee into nearby hills to escape the violence. Although local MLA Leishiyo Keishing and Manipur Home Minister Govindas Konthoujam later visited the affected villages, residents alleged that no concrete security measures have been implemented so far.
Many villagers have since returned despite continuing safety concerns, saying they were determined to protect their ancestral land from what they termed “foreign invaders”. Recalling the attack, Z Choro resident Konap Ansari said villagers were caught completely unprepared.
“On May 7, we were never ready for that kind of invasion in our village. We were sleeping peacefully. We are good citizens of India. We don’t have any enmity with neighbouring villages from Burma,” he said.
Ansari alleged that the armed men launched the assault from nearby hill areas across the Myanmar border, firing several rounds and using explosives during the attack.
He claimed that almost all 22 houses in Z Choro were burnt down, while the village church building was spared. However, valuables kept inside the church were allegedly looted.

“During the war time, they came to our village. We provided temporary shelter, food and clothes. We never expected they would launch an attack like this,” he added, referring to Kuki refugees who had previously taken shelter in the area.
Villagers also accused the Assam Rifles of failing to intervene despite maintaining a nearby camp within walking distance from Z Choro village. According to residents, security personnel did not respond immediately while villagers fled for safety during the attack.
Ansari said villagers had demanded stronger security arrangements during the Home Minister’s visit, including the deployment of state security forces in place of central forces. However, he alleged that no visible action has followed the assurances.
The village head of Namlee also alleged that militants linked to the Kuki National Army-Burma were involved in the violence.
“All those militants surrounded my village and attacked and looted houses. We ran here and there for our lives. Why are they attacking innocent villagers? What is our fault? We don’t have any hatred towards them,” he said.
Expressing disappointment over the response time of security personnel, he claimed it takes only 20 to 30 minutes for forces to reach the village, yet residents were left without immediate assistance during the assault.
“Our lives are still at risk. Yet, to protect our villages from being encroached upon, we returned and continue to live here,” he added.
Apart from security concerns, residents of Z Choro, Wanglee and Namlee also highlighted the longstanding lack of basic infrastructure in the remote border belt, including poor road connectivity and limited access to essential public services.

